Monday, June 01, 2009

ran sundown yesterday. was a v hot n windless night despite the route taking us thru open spaces, beaches, lagoons and reservoir. but this year's tee is nicer. and thank God it didnt rain (last year i was drenched thru n thru near my house! ) the volunteers were nicer than last year's as well as stand chart's. i think they did a gr8 job encouraging the runners. and the runners themselves were way nicer too - encouraging pp as they overtook them, cheering others on: a number of ultra-marathoners n cyclists running past us, seeing me struggle said, "good job gals! 3k more!" etc. these pp have better athlete's ethics and they understand pain n perseverence. (i like sundown more cos i cant stand standchart marathon cos of the sun n the pp who dun have running ethics!) i got applauded alot of times. the atmosphere was incredible. one of the things the world needs - more cheerleaders. 

sis waited to "send us off" at the starting point. but was a little too distracted then to appreciate her better than a "thanks thanks." 

this was the 1st time some1 walked wif me and had to support me alot. i ve had done so for others so it was a nice "turning of table" situation for me. was humbling but like i said above, it was nice receiving. thank u jo!

she ran ahead of me 3x n twice i overtook her as she took a toilet break, the other time was wen she missed a turn at the bridge (d volunteer sitting at the railings of the bridge failed to direct her) n run on to downtown east. good thing she realised soon enough that there were no "red shirts!" and called me. so by the time she came back, i reached the bridge and we went on together. she laughingly said she has to run more distance in both marathons she took part in. 

there was this gal who wore a "perth marathon" singlet. she kept overtaking us 5,6 times. got us scratching our heads cos we never knew we had even overtaken her at all! (we were only walking) incredulous when she ran past us about the 6th time, we burst out laughing. 

anyway, this is my last marathon for a long while to come. maybe i shall re-attempt marathon-ing in my late thirties or fourties.. =) giving my knee a good long break. my mum was so happy 2 hear dat this is my last. she jus couldnt understand y i put myself thru such misery.

there's gonna b a big change in my life soon. i m stepping out of the boat. gonna try some "walking on water". tell u more later this week. 

No comments: