Saturday, August 20, 2005

now, this is commitment!

excerpt of letter by an American college student explaining to his fiancee why he had to break off their engagement-

We communists have a high casualty rate. We live in virtual poverty, and turn back every penny we make to the Party above what is absolutely necessary to keep us alive. We communists don’t have the time or the money or movies, concerts, or T-bone steaks or decent homes or new cars. I am in dead earnest. Communism is my life, my business, my religion, my sweetheart, my wife, my mistress, my bread and meat. I work at it in the daytime and dream about it at night. Its hold on me grows, not lessens, as time goes by. Therefore, I cannot carry on a friendship, a love affair, or even a conversation without relating to this force which both drives and guides my life. I’ve already been in jail because of my ideas and if necessary I am ready to go before a firing squad.


Man! i look at this communist's great faith and passion and i am ashamed. i have not let the cause of Christ so consume me that all of my life is driven and guided by Him. if only we Christians know but a fraction of what it means to be thss "sold out", if only we allow God's hold on us to grow and make Him our all. to think an aetheist knows better what it means "to live is Christ" (Gal 2:20, Phil 1:21), except that for him to live is communism. it's all or nothing for Christ!

No comments: