Sunday, December 03, 2006

We have here with us Evan, who has just completed the Standchart half marathon. Evan, tell us how you did you start running long distance.
Well, I didn’t take to running actually. Just that ever since I started work, running is the easiest form of exercise. No frills, no need another person, no need to bring bathing stuff etc. just put on track shoes and I can be off.

The main contributing factor was med min cos I realised that in full time min, it is for the long haul… not the sprint n crash kinda thing. So the idea of covering distance and running the marathon grew on me.

when i was in JC, my fren SL runs long distance... i remember her sharing why she does it - "it feels really good after you sweat..." being less restrained n tactful, i blurted, "you must be crazy!" it was plain insanity to me 10 years ago... i hated running... even 2.4! well, i've come to join the crazy pp...

Share with us your pre-race experience.
I went over to Darling’s to sleep over. What nice bed she has! Slept after talking a bit. Haven’t had such a deep n restful sleep in a long while! Gr8 bed she has! I didn’t feel like waking up when the alarm went off… anyway, we took a pic n left. Couldn’t get on a cab! N when we finally did, the driver didn’t know how to get there with all the road closures… so we dropped off at lavender and ran for the mrt! [note 2 self: next year pls take mrt!]

We were late already n I was panicky… n ran n ran to the starting point… n juz started the race feeling out of breath n so not ready! Haha… n my muscles were v tight… I had to stop at the 1st bus stop to stretch again… n many times subsequently. Kept telling myself to relax relax! Haha! Body felt so out of whack!

heard you enjoyed running half marathon this time than 10K…
yes, cos starting late has it’s benefits… it means the first 2k is clear for you… n then it’s just mainly overtaking people from there on. So it’s kinda fun. And, by the time I hit the 10k turning point (the place where I dread cos last year it was from there that I struggled through the 10k crowd), I met up with the early 10k women runners. They were all running pretty well so it gave me an extra boost to run too.

Share with us your running journey
I ran the 1st 10k faster than last year. But I was really tired by 12k. I was grumbling inwardly why the 13k marker is taking so long to turn up. At 14k, my MP3 player – Schatz was playing ‘Church on fire’. I was telling God, “God! My calves are on fire!” and Ricky Martin’s hot spanish number couldn’t cajole me to run. I was berating myself for walking cos I felt I wasn’t pushing myself harder, n that I lacked mental strength. But by then I couldn’t get my legs to run.

But what I enjoyed tho was running on roads I couldn’t have otherwise, like shenton way. And Im thankful to God for the weather – it wasn’t hot, but cloudy.. providing the much needed shade. And tho it drizzled when I was at 17k, it refreshed me, n gave me extra impetus to finish n not get caught wen it pours. But of course it didn’t at all till probably after 11 (after I had left).

one thing i especially enjoyed was blatant littering! (throwing the cups by the side of the road) haha...

[smiling] I heard you were eating breakfast at the 15k mark…
Haha. Yesh! They were giving out bananas n drinks at the 15k mark (just after the esplanade). N I, since I was walking, decided to snack n load up too… juz too empty… so yeah… walked another km! heehee… even tho I told myself no more excuses after I finished, I couldn’t run still… it became walk-a-jog for me. I was at the republic boulevard – a place I had enjoyed walking along… n was screaming inside “where the heck is the turning point? I want to turn back!!!”

At 19km, Schatz was playing “Running after You”, one of my must-have running songs. i was telling God, “I cant run liao!” not even when I rounded the last 3oom. But I did run in the end.

what is the highlight of the race for you?
That’ll be the last 100m for me… sprinting past thru the crowd to the finishing line… it’s exhilarating!

were you satisfied with your timing?
oh yes i m! im pretty pleased with myself despite walking n all... i actually hit my personal objective! tho it is not fast or anything (i m the 2nd LAST among my colleagues!) i felt good. this's all i can do for the conditioning i ve done... so yeah. i gave myself 2 pats on the shoulder saying, "well done!" after the race. haha...

Tell us what you did post-race.
I went to Ya-Kun wif Darling. And then went home. I travelled light this year. I only carried my arm band (with hp, easi-link card, atm card, cash, keys), schatz clipped outside, and a small towel. No change no nothing. So juz went home stinking up the train n bus! Haha.

What are your future running plans?
I intend to lay off running at least 1 week… which probably will turn into 2 or 3… shall go back to swimming… probably start gunning down 30 laps. Then oso… maybe be good to my knees n go back to cycling… so then after a while, I can try for a triathlon.. haha… ignore me… I m delirious now.

Darling wasn’t keen on joining me to run for a full marathon. N I think my knees cannot take it… n my work schedule doesn’t permit that… so maybe the other thing is to run half in other countries (standchart has it in 3 other countries!)

well, whatever it is, i wish you many more wonderful racing experience. thank you, Evan for your time.
it's my pleasure.

No comments: