Saturday, January 28, 2006

in her shoes - the movie


caught it sometime back with Bu. only got time n space now to sit n blog it. check out my entries on IN HER SHOES in Nov 2005. all the poems r there too. all my "imaginings" were not too off afterall. was so relieved the movie did not disappoint! it was GOOD!!! Maggie wasn't such a dislikeable character. Cameron Diaz did a great job making her look real instead of plain bimbotic n devious. (her body...wow!) toni collete was exactly was i thot Rose should b. i was almost convinced her teeth was made up. (any1 can verify dat? toni collette doesn't have a gab in her teeth in real life but she did in the movie.) the director did a gr8 job in cutting the novel down into a 2 hours show. the parts that were crucial to the development of the plot and the integrity of the characters were there. Kudos to that!

what was in the novel that was not in the movie:
Maggie's princeton stint. i was a little shocked when she went to Palm Springs 2 look for grandma instead of Princeton. i thot the movie's gonna leave out the crucial intellectual growth and character change... and my fave literature lect where the significant reading of "The Art of Losing"... but no it didn't! it was wonderfully woven into her stint at the hospital which i thot made it alot more concise n meaningful. Stein is not dorky n pesty in the movie... which makes Rose settling for him a tad more sweet.

unforgetable lines:
"... you will want to eat with me for the rest of your life." the whole theatre went "AWWWWwww..."
"what completes you?" Stein asked Rose... she didn't know... she needed to find herself. nearing the end, she told him, "my sister completes me."

the two sisters who thot they couldn't be more different reminds me of my sis n i. wanted to watch the movie wif sis but she's not willing to spend on movies... will get the VCD n watch wif her...
wat the novel and movie did for me: uncovered my desire to have a deeper relationship wif sis... she is so dear... n yet... i dun tell her or show her dat.

well, the only appropriate ending to this entry would be:
Hui, i carry your heart with me(i carry it in my heart) from E E Cummings' poem of the same title read by Maggie to Rose in IN HER SHOES

No comments: